Can scp be used to update a directory?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Mar 18 17:34:20 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Really?  I had completely misunderstood, then.
>
> Any advice/caveats?  With a man page running to 34 pages it will take a bit of
> digesting ;-)
>
> Anne

Here's a sample of what I use every day to sync my home directory to
another machine where ssh runs on port 8090, excluding the Cache of any
mozilla based browser (--exclude=Cache) , deleting any excluded files
that by accident may have been sent to the destination and files that
have been removed (--delete-excluded includes --delete) and copying the
contents of symlinks, instead of copying the links (--copy-links).
rsync -avz -e 'ssh -p 8090' /home/pmacedo/ my_other_machine:~/sync/
--delete-excluded --exclude=Cache --copy-links

One caveat: you must be running rsync either from the source or the
destination machine, since rsync wont do remote to remote syncs using ssh.
That's usually what I use and I've never needed any other options
besides those to do any type of sync.

--
Pedro Macedo