mount Win partitions

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Mar 18 23:08:33 UTC 2006

Greetings Anne ,

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 01:51, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>
>>I'll give it a try. Why not a gui text editor like gedit? Remember we're
>>trying to make Linux usable by nongeeks. Someone tried to teach me vi
>>once--aaaarrgh!

I always use vi to edit config files . I don't know how to use vi . Only
just
a couple of commands ( insert , for insterting text , wq for Save and Exit
and q! for exit ) and that was all i needed .

> I don't know why that was Kostas' recommendation.

Vi knows only plain text file ( for as far as i know ) so even by accident
i can't possibly save in another format , so i can't possibly damage the
file beyond recovery . Remember if  fstab can't be parsed properly you
will possibly get a kernel panic , because the kernel will not be able to
access the root partition .

Of course it must be a text
> editor, not a word processor, but I often use kwrite for such edits and never
> had a problem.

Well sorry for answering so late . There is only one reason .

fstab is a plain text file . Most of the configuration files are also
plain text files .
Now ,  you may use even Write from OpenOffice if you wish BUT you have to
remember to save it as a PLAIN TEXT file . That's why you succeeded with
Kwrite , Kwrite didn't altered the format of the file so it was ok .

> When you've done it, try
>
> mount -a
>
> in a root console.  That should mount  everything is fstab without rebooting.
>
> Anne

Kind Regards,
   Kostas