"! Booting..." message in GDM login screen?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 23:11:08 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:46 -0500, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>
> > I just installed FC4 on one of my boxes and recently I have been
> > seeing weird little "! Booting..." message between the Fedora Core
> > name and where you enter your username. The "!" part of the message
> > has a some sort of circular "throbber" rotating over top of it.
> >
> > I only see this occasionally and have not seen it before a month or so
> > ago. Nothing looks weird in the logs and things seem to run fine. Does
> > anyone know what this is and what it is trying to tell me?
>
> I've seen that occasionally, too, but don't really know why.  It usually
> happened, for me, after I'd been remotely accessing my server (I found
> it waiting for me on the server, later on).  I haven't seen it for a
> while, and I've probably updated quite a few things since then.  It
> might have been fixed.
>
> Recently, I've occasionally found that I have to log in twice.  The GDM
> login screen comes back at me, straight away, as if my X session had
> crashed immediately, but without protest.  I wonder if they're related
> (something not properly initiallising for a new X session or GDM login
> screen).

This has just started with a freshly installed FC4 and completely up to
date. So I think that it is rare. I seems to only happen after I powercycle
the box remotely and don't look at the console for a few days. I was just
wondering if it was indicative of anything. I am glad that I am not
completely alone ... that would have been weird and spooky as the reason for
my doing a fresh install was to recover from an exploit.

Thanks for your feedback.

/Mike