Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 19 03:16:44 UTC 2006

Myth User wrote:
> So you're saying that Linux does support SATA as good or better than other
> platforms.  And you're saying that because of one anicdotle expirence
> envolving your putting a CDRom on a RAID controller that somehow the two
> platforms are equal?
>
> Just because you don't know how to set SCSI Select to boot from a CD doesn't
> mean anything.

Windows 2000 was not installable from a USB CDROM when I attempted to
try that method. Of course FC5T3 was not installable via USB DVD while
FC5T2 was installable via USB DVD. The problem with FC5T3 was said to be
corrected.
Anyway, 2000 is old and what it is, is what it is . Newer versions of
Linux distributions can either regress or progress. You need teamwork
between the developers and the users to make the moves more of a
progression than suffer from regression. I see this with Linux
distributions but do not participate in Windows betas and only deal with
the problems it has.

The original question was in regard to getting the person able to
install on a system Dell Optiplex GX620 which can be configured in a
host of different form factors. I have a lesser GX280 series Dell
computer with SATA disks and did not have trouble installing pre-FC3
through FC5T3 on such a machine.

The original poster did not respond back as to what setup he is using
and what drive combinations he has on the system. The system might have
hardware that requires new capabilities within the kernel that are not
developed yet or implemented in the current Linux distributions.

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding SCSI select and what
it has to do with booting/installing from USB floppy or USB drives.

Jim

--
Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair -- It gives you something to
do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.