Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 04:45:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 22:12, Myth User wrote:

> For a production environment software RAID is unacceptable as
> it requires at the very least system down time to replace failed drives.

Beg your pardon, but that isn't true either, at least for SCSI with
hot-swap SCA connectors.   I've replaced drives in running machines
and rebuilt the md mirrors.  For IDE I use 3ware controllers and
will probably use them for sata when I want to use sata.

> As for operating systems, in general, no one buys an OS to simply have an
> OS.  People buy an OS so they can run applications.  There are a handful of
> studies which take the TCO of Linux and compare it favorably to MS.  There
> are hundreds of studies which show MS has a lower TCO than Linux.

Guess who paid for the ones where MS comes out ahead.  Guess who
is the biggest advertiser in the rags that published them.  How
many of those started with a cost-free distribution like Centos
or Debian for their comparisons?

> "why they bother endlessly purchasing and repurchasing the same software"
> Are you talking about buying the exact same title over and over again or
> were you trying to say that because you once bought DOS 6 that you should be
> entitled to use Windows 2003 Data Center?

You should be entitled to the version that finally works right, if
there ever is one...  Remember DOS 4 where they got absolutely
everything wrong?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com