Setting X11 Screen Resolution.

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Mar 19 09:06:19 UTC 2006

On 06/03/19 01:24 Reg Clemens apparently typed:

Just pick a generic matching your display, such as 1600x1200 LCD @ 60 Hz.

> I just had a feeling, that there was someplace else.
> That by setting SOMETHING I could determine whether X11 used
> the 75 or 100dpi fonts, and (probably) determined a number of other
> things.

75 vs 100 is for bitmap fonts used by old apps.

> xdpyinfo gives a screen size in mm, there must be some place to
> overrride that.

To set screen size:
In xorg.conf in 'Section "Screen"' find 'SubSection "Display"' for the
color depth you want and either set a size for 'Virtual' (e.g. 1600
1200) or set at least one size for 'Modes' (e.g. "1600x1200").

To set DPI, one option for getting a suitable one is to force it. In
'Section "Monitor"', add one line from here:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/DisplaySize

Another option if you have a supported display adapter is "UseEDID". You
can Google that one. I don't have any hardware that supports it.

Another DPI option is /etc/X11/Xresources, where you can force one, such
as "Xft.dpi: 108".

Some related links:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html
--
"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according
to the law of the Lord."	        	Psalm 119:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409