Sharing file systems

Sumeet Pal Singh sumeetpalsingh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 12:00:59 UTC 2006

HI
I have ubuntu 5.10 on my system and using FC3 since it was released. I tried
to install FC4 on my system by sharing the swap and /home partition between
FC4 and ubuntu. The installation went well. I did not install KDE in FC4.
I was well aware of permission screw ups that this could lead to, hence I
did not create any user (The UID and GID of root is preserved across Linux
distros)

I booted in as root and created a new user with UID and GID same as on
ubuntu.
Now I booted in GNOME and it was completely configured!!!! Moreover gaim
started and signed me in to all my accounts!!! This was first time login...

My question is that can is sharing /home okay for a long run or will it lead
to problems.
Also can other file systems like /usr be shared along with this and if it
can be  then under what restrictions??
If any one has done this please let me know.

Sumeet