Insufficient system storage

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Mar 19 17:33:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 12:39 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 19 March 2006 03:33, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > > /tmp is under /, and there is 1.6GB free.  I think that I had just got
> > > something into a loop so that it was filling up with temporary space.  I
> > > had to reboot, and everything's fine now.  Just a pebcak, I think.
> >
> > What is your filesystem structure?
> > /tmp being part of / can be a _bad thing_ in cases as you just saw.
> >
> > Only 1.6GiB of free space in / would not be a bad thing if / is small
> > and <70% used.  OTOH, if / is a large partition and usage is in the 90%+
> > range that is not a good thing.
> >
> / is 7.6GB and 79% full.  There is 1.2GB in there that could be moved out, if
> necessary, though I'd prefer to keep it there if possible.
>
> I have plenty of free space on that drive.  I could create a new partition
> for /tmp.  I know it is possible to redirect to the new partition, but I'm
> not sure how to do it.  Is it just a matter of creating an fstab line, or
> would the presenct of /tmp under root confuse matters?  I presume I could not
> delete /tmp from the running system.  I could use knoppix, of course.

I would do it this way.
1. create a new /tmp on the drive (partition and mke2fs to format it)

2. Add a line in fstab to mount it

3. empty the existing /tmp of files to free the space.  This can be done
on the running system since already open files are held open by the
system until they are released.
NOTE: you would not remove /tmp but would remove /tmp/* instead.

4. mount the new /tmp
This can be done on the running system by using steps 3 and 4 in the
right order.

The trick here is that already existing files that are in /tmp would be
hidden and not accessible once the new partition is mounted.  By doing
an rm on the existing files then mounting the new filesystem, any newly
created files will be in the new filesystem and the previously existing
and in-use files will continue to be used until they are released by the
owning process at which time they will just disappear and the space is
free.