where to submit upgrade suggestions for "extras"?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 19 19:32:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 14:18 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Paul Smith wrote:
>
> > On 3/19/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > >   where's the proper forum (bugzilla?) to suggest newer versions
> > > of software to be added to repos like "extras?"  e.g., lua-5.1 has
> > > been out for almost a month (http://www.lua.org/home.html), but
> > > "extras" still contains only 5.0.2.
> >
> > Once, I was told here to use bugzilla.
>
> that's one possibility but, really, sometimes bugzilla is just plain
> overkill.  it would be nice if there was a simple form like:
>
>   Software upgrade suggestion:  snerf-2.0.
>   Software home page:  www.snerf.org
>
> and that would be it.  using bugzilla for everything makes one think
> of the old saying, "if the only tool you have is a hammer, every
> problem looks like a nail."
----
bugzilla is the place where the package maintainers operate. Their
responsibility is to track the reports assigned to the packages they
maintain. There is no other logical place for things like this.

Of course, you could just express your sentiments here like many others
do and get it off your chest, feel better about it and wonder why
nothing gets done.

If you would like me to create a web page as you are suggesting that no
package maintainers would ever read...I could do that for you.

The hammer/nail metaphor is interesting but not applicable for this
instance.

Craig