Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sun Mar 19 19:37:42 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 13:52 -0500, Bruce Keats wrote:
>
>>I have been watching this discussion, but I do not find it helpful in
>>solving my problem.
>>
>>I did manage to finally install FC4 on Friday.  Originally, I was
>>trying to install the x86_64 CDs without any success, with the SATA
>>controller set in either "normal" or "combined" mode.  I did manage to
>>get FC3 installed with the SATA controller set to "combined".  Late
>>Friday, I set the SATA controller to "normal" mode and tried the
>>normal i386 install CDs (instead of the x86_64 CDs) and everything
>>went OK.
>>
>>I am not sure what the particular recipe is for these Dell Optiplex
>>GX620's, but I will try and figure out a recipe.  It seems to me that
>>you may need a Linux partition on the drive first.  I vaguely remember
>>seeing a post about this in one of my Google searches.  These boxes
>>arrived from Dell with Windows XP pro already installed.  It could
>>also be problem with the SATA controller on the x86_64 CDs.  Since I
>>have a number of these Dell's kicking around, I will try some
>>different combinations to determine what the recipe is.
>>
>>I will post my results in a day or so.
>>
>>Bruce
>>

>>On 3/19/06, Anthony Messina <amessina at messinet.com> wrote:
>>        <snip>
>>        ... long and unrelated but somewhat interesting discussion ...
>>        </snip>
>>
>>        gentlemen, have we helped the original poster with his
>>        question/issue?
>
> ----
> sorry - got sidetracked ;-)
>
> as for OP - recognize that 'in a day or so', we will see the release of
> FC-5 which has a new kernel and support for a different if not wider
> variety of hardware which may or may not be of issue to your using the
> FC-4 installation disks.
>
> Craig

thanks craig.  i appreciate it :)

bruce, do you have a particluar reason to use fc4 instead of waiting for
fc5 tomorrow.  i agree with craig in that you may see better results
with fc5.  of course, if you don't, you can always go back to fc4, but
since the release is impending, why not have all the new bells/whistles?

(you may have a very good reason, which i won't question, but since the
release is almost available...)

--
Anthony

My Website: http://messinet.com