De-activate a swap partition

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 19:48:11 UTC 2006

I want to reorganise partitions on hdb - combining some, to make fewer, larger
partitions.  gparted says that I can't do that, because hdb11 is being used
as a swap partition.  I do have a swap on hda, so could easily manage wihout
it temporarily.  Is there any way to do that without rebooting?  I removed it
from fstab and did 'mount -a', but that doesn't solve the problem.  I think
I'm right in saying that it is not mounted, in a conventional sense, so I
don't know how to proceed.

Anne