How to setup sendmail to send mail out from Fedora Core ??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Mar 19 20:53:40 UTC 2006

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm a  newbie on FC4 & sendmail setting and need help
> on my sendmail setup.
>
> I applied a DSL line with dynamic IP. the goes to
> zoneedit for dynamic IP resolution and setup the mx
> record to my own mail server mail.mydomain.org.
>
> Then I can receive email addressed to
> myuser at mydomain.org without problems from yahoo and
> google. But the problem is: I can not send out emails
> to these big free mail providers, or to my working
> company. mailq reported "connection time out"
> problems.
>
> I also do simple debugging work to directly connect to
> these companies' mail servers, mainly "telnet
> mailservers.othercompany.com 25" commands,but they
> always timeout. "nmap -p 25
> mailservers.othercompany.com " commands say that the
> TCP 25 ports are filtered.
>
> Any suggestions for me to send out emails?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Robinson

Chances are, your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25 connections. You
what a couple of choices here. One is to convince your ISP to open
up outgoing port 25 connections for you. The other is to configure
Sendmail to use your ISP's mail server as its relay host. You will
probably have more luck setting up the relay host.

Setting up a relay host may be as simple as editing the Sendmail
config file to add the relay host, or a bit more complicated if
your ISP requires authentication in order to send mail through it.

If you do not have experience with configuring Sendmail, you may
want to consider using Postfix instead. Most newbies find it easyer
to configure...

Mikkel