Re: De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

On Sunday 19 March 2006 21:11, Jeff Vian wrote:

> You might try fdisk to do the partitioning instead of gparted.  That may
> be the problem.
> fdisk -l only reports the partition table it sees. If nothing it
> recognizes is there it cannot report it.
>
> Sometimes the kernel sees one partition table, and when changes are made
> it *requires* a reboot to see the new table.  Sometimes it sees the
> change without a reboot.  I have not really figured out the differences,
> but I do know that after a reboot it will see the current table
> correctly.
>
> I tend to stick with the tried and true command line tools because of
> proven reliability.

I was going to do that, but the more I read and the less sure I felt.  "There
are several *fdisk programs around.  Each has its problems and strengths.
Try them in the order parted, fdisk, sfdisk."  Three lots of man pages, and
by the end I was thoroughly confused.

Rebooting didn't help.  During bootup it reported

I/O error on device hdb, logical block 0.

Anne