IPTables

Hi people,
I am running a server in college at the minute. I just re installed it because (amoungst other things), IPTables wasn't doing anything. Now I have exactly the same iptables problem.

If I do:
service iptables start

I just get returned to the prompt, the same with /etc/init.d/iptables start.

Why am I getting no output, how can I get iptables to start please?

Cheers,

Chris Norman
<!-- chris norman4 ntlworld com -->