De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 20 14:30:31 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

> One thing I need to know, before I rebuild the partition table.  Does linux
> use anything like the DOS extended partition?  I've never seen any mention of
> it.
>
> Anne

Yes, Linux does use an extended partition. But Linux fdisk is
smarter then DOS/Windows fdisk. You do not have to create the
extended partition yourself. If you create a logical partition,
the extended partition is created for you. (It also generated
an error if you try to create a logical partition after you have
4 primary partitions.)

Mikkel