De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 20 14:38:33 UTC 2006

jdow wrote:
> From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>
>
> ===8<---
> I saw that, but see below
>> can describe an unlimited number  of  parti-
>> tions.  In  sector  0 there is room for the description of 4 partitions
>> (called ‘primary’). One of these may be an extended partition; this  is
>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 'may be an extended partition' - does that mean it should be, or it
> could be?
> IOW, would you do it that way?
> ===8<---
>
> I do not understand your question. Any single one of the basic four
> partitions can be an extended partition. This may be partition one, two,
> three, or four. Logical partitions are numbered 5 on up. The way these
> partitions work there seems to be no reason you cannot have a disk with
> four extended partitions other than "it doesn't make sense." One is quite
> sufficient.

Well, 4 would be overkill. But I can think of times when having more
then one would be handy. If you have a drive with more then one OS
on it, and you remove one OS, and want to repartition the space
freed up, you may end up with a chunk of free space, a primary
partition, and the your logical partition. My converting the first
partition to a second logical partition, you can split it into
several logical drives. (You will probably have to update /etc/fstab
and your boot loader after doing it...)

Mikkel