De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 14:44:45 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 14:30, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > One thing I need to know, before I rebuild the partition table.  Does
> > linux use anything like the DOS extended partition?  I've never seen any
> > mention of it.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Yes, Linux does use an extended partition. But Linux fdisk is
> smarter then DOS/Windows fdisk. You do not have to create the
> extended partition yourself. If you create a logical partition,
> the extended partition is created for you. (It also generated
> an error if you try to create a logical partition after you have
> 4 primary partitions.)

Hi, Mikkel.  I'm running testdisk at the moment, to see how much is
recoverable.  Originally it had a FAT32 partition at the beginning, (Win98,
at one time) and the extended partition shows up as FAT32, both, seemingly,
type Oc.  The first windows partition may not be recoverable, by the look of
it, and maybe some of the linux partitions inside the extended partition.
They are partitions that I don't care about anyway, so it doesn't really
matter.  When the intense search has finished I'll tell it to mark for
recovery all the bits it thinks it can recover, then write a new partition
table.  If that works fdisk should be able to see the drive again, and I'll
take it from there.

Anne