Can't tell if I have been hacked :(

Hey guys,

Can you give me some input on whether I have been hacked or not?

I logged into my machine via ssh and found that I couldn't run any commands and got a input/output error. I couldn't run the who command to see if anyone else was logged into my machine and I couldn't check my firestarter log to see if I have been breached.

I was able to run an ls -al and found that a lot of my permissions had ???? as the owner. My gnome interface is pretty much disappeared and all I see is the background. I can't shut down this machine because the halt and shutdown commands are not recognized (I get the same input/output error)

Is it possible I have been hacked?

If so how is this possible when I have set my firestarter firewall to only allow connections from a specific network address and to deny anyone else that tries to connect?

Any input is helpful.

Thanks