Announcing the release of Fedora Core 5

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Mar 20 18:14:33 UTC 2006

Fedora Project wrote:
> Hi, my name is Fedora Core "Bordeaux", and today I am 5.  When I
> turned 4 last year, they got a funny salesman to talk about me like I
> was a toy.  I like toys.  But today Teacher said I am a big kid, and I
> should talk about myself.  I can do lots of big kid stuff now, and
> everyone tells me that I play really well with all the other kids in
> class, even the ones who are mean like bullies.  I always try and
> share, which is what Teacher says is the best thing.
>
> Sharing is a really good thing to do.  I like to share all my toys and
> books and stuff with all the other kids so that they can play with
> them and even learn things, too.  I have a lot of neat stuff to share,
> so I made this cool list to tell you all about it.  Teacher gave me
> some things to put in the list, but since I'm a big kid I think I
> should get to say what I want, too.
>
> * GNOME 2.14
>
> "Improved speed and usability, and new and better features for power
> management, file sharing, user help, system administration,
> teleconferencing, picture browsing, and networking."  I think it's
> easy enough for even my little brother to use, but Mommy and Daddy
> like it a lot too.
>
> * OpenOffice 2.0.2
>
> "Enhanced productivity features, extensive compatibility with other
> popular office software, database connectivity functions, and improved
> use of system libraries for faster loading and better responsiveness
> overall."  Mommy says she can make slide shows for work even easier
> than before, and Daddy uses it to organizes all our books, music, and
> movies in databases.
>
> * KDE 3.5.1
>
> "New and exciting features for users and developers, including stylish
> and attractive applets, educational and entertaining games, incredibly
> standards-compliant Internet tools, and enhanced multimedia and
> usability."  Plus it looks REALLY cool, especially when my big sister
> fixes it just the way she likes.
>
> * Mono
>
> "Support for .NET means a new generation of dynamic and powerful
> cross-platform applications, with some already included, such as
> Tomboy for note-taking, F-Spot for photo management, and Beagle for
> content searching and indexing."  See, I told you I'm really good at
> sharing!  Plus, I don't ever have a problem remembering or finding
> things, like pictures, homework, or messages.  Mommy says she's really
> proud of me.
>
> * Yum-based Package Tools
>
> "Installation and software management tools are all based on the
> flexible and powerful yum utility for easy selection and upgrade of
> new and existing software."  And soon, I'll even be able to get my own
> special software at install time!
>
> * Xen Virtualization
>
> "The best framework yet for installation, management, migration, and
> monitoring of software-based virtual domains, allowing system owners
> [...]

interesting choice of announcement styles!  i forwarded it to my mom,
who's a third grade teacher.  she said, in elementary school, this is
called "voice" and applauded your writing style.

i know many people are busy downloading and already updating fc5 (myself
included), but i wanted to take the time to say thanks to all of you who
made this possible.  you guys/gals really work hard and i think the
fedora line is something to be proud of.

--
Anthony

My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery: