firewall trick for faster BitTorrent downloads

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Mar 20 20:10:13 UTC 2006

If BitTorrent is not as fast as it should, and if the cause is your
local firewall blocking the upload channels, here's a command you can
run as root on your system to open up the BitTorrent upload ports:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp \
	--dport 6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

Run this if your local firewall is tightly closed and it will allow
uploads.
After you're done with BitTorrent, run the same command, but replacing
-I with -D and it will close the firewall back up.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/