firewall trick for faster BitTorrent downloads

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 20 22:13:27 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 15:10, Florin Andrei wrote:
>If BitTorrent is not as fast as it should, and if the cause is your
>local firewall blocking the upload channels, here's a command you can
>run as root on your system to open up the BitTorrent upload ports:
>
>iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp \
> --dport 6881:6999 -j ACCEPT

And what would be the equivalent to this when the port is forwarded to
another internal address on the same subnet as the machine running
iptables, please?  I beleive I'm cramping it a bit as it appears I only
have one port open, the one  I selected in azureus when I was also
running bt-4.11.

I'm currently showing 4 seeds and 65 peers in azureus, but dl speeds are
ranging in the 125% to 175% of the upload speed, which is only half
filling the upload pipe here.  Its somewhat restricted in order that
mail etc can continue flowing.  I did, for a short time, see over
1.1MB/Sec down, but it didn't last very long.  Its a 256/1.5 circuit.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: