Sun Fire x2100 running core 4

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:41:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:20 -0700, David Borton wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Has anyone tried Fedora core 4 on the Sun Fire x2100 from Sun
> Microsystems?  Sun doesn’t support it, but since it is based on the
> AMD Opteron chipset it should work, IMHO.
>

> But if anybody has a bad (or good) experience with this it could save
> my company some $$$.
>

> Thanks,
>

>    David Borton

I'm using Fedora Core on a Tyan Thunder K8WE with two Opteron 270 CPUs.
AFAIR the Sun Fire uses the same AMD south-bridge as my Tyan board.
More-ever, I've got a number of HP 385 machines that use the exact
chipset configuration as the Sun machine, running FC and CentOS; in both
cases no stability issues what-so-ever.

In short, it should work out of the box.

Gilboa