[FC5] First impression

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 12:31:51 UTC 2006

2006/3/21, Patrick <patrickm at myway.com>:

>   I'm sure things evolve and improve along the way.
>
> But in my opinion it (FC) starts to grow into a dummy-proof OS. Up to FC4
> you could tweak things in order to get what you want(ed), but with the
> out-of-the-box package you almost had it (and I'm not speaking about the
> always present things everyone uses differently).
>
> For example, my dad is using FC4 for a couple of months now (coming from
> Windows). Should I consider upgrading him to FC5 would mean I have to tweak
> a lot in order to give him a similar system and/or options.
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that with every release, not only the system get
> upgraded, but also the whole look and feel gets "improved" ??
>
> Don't get me wrong, I've been using FC1 up to FC4. And FC5 should be next
> as far as I am concerned. But why does every new release mean such trouble
> (FC3: 8k.stack, FC4: dev/udev, FC5: ....) ?
>
> Patrick
>

> --- On Mon 03/20, Jim Cornette < > wrote:
>
> Patrick wrote:
> > After downloading FC5, I eagerly started installing.
> >
> > Installation went flawless, except that the package selection is more
> > detailed/work. And certain usefull applications are by default not
> selected.
>

> I agree that the selected defaults are not the applications that I use
> regularly and find valuable.
>

> > After installation, I noticed certain things which saddened me ...
> >
> > * Gconf wasn't installed (by default).
> > * When logging out of a graphical enviroment, I can't select the option
> > anymore which allows me to save "any active stuff" ("remember
> > settings"). So every time I log in now, I have to creat manually a
> > terminal window in desktop 4 because I'm used to it.
>
> Some changes to gnome are regressions and should not even be considered
> to implement the changes. A save session should be available at logout.
>
> > * When updating/installing software through the "add/remove
> > software"-option, it automatically goes on internet to grab the software
>
> > (no DVD?)
>
> If you add a local.repo file with the path to your dvd and also disable
> the Internet bound repos, you should be able to grab packages from the
> dvd instead of the Internet.
> You are right that there should be an automatic detection to check if
> you have local media inserted with the rpms before it goes out to the
> Internet. This should have a bug report to add this sort of detection
> and local install if media is present in a drive.
>

> > Changes are not always for the best ...
> >

> I agree with this statement.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> I'll see you... on the dark side of the moon...
> -- Pink Floyd
>
> --

innovation causes pain and trouble at times. and new approaches and changes
under the hood for the better might show problems at first. but all the
changes done have a really good reason. instead of complaining here id
suggest to get a bugzilla account and file away: http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

regards,
rudolf kastl

p.s. no one forced you to be an "early adopter" :)