FC5: software install problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 21 18:30:47 UTC 2006

Stephen Mirowski wrote:
> I am trying to install more programs from my FC5 discs, but the install
> programs
> keep grabbing files from ftp mirrors instead of my CDs.
>
> First I tried: "Add/Remove Software"
> - picked OpenOffice and some other stuff, so it started download hundreds
> of MBs of files I already had on disc.
>
> Then I tried: "Nautilus"
> - Selected a whole bunch of OpenOffice files, right-clicked to install.
> Well it found all the dependencies on the net, and started to download
> them, even though they are on the distro CDs.
>
> Is there a way to use the GUI installers to install programs from the CDs
> only (like the way it used to work)  only download files if newer version
> are avail (Like Mandriva's RPM tool)?  Or is there another installer?
>
> Stephen

Unfortunately the package installer uses yum repos that are defaulted to
the network. This of course goes out the network instead of checking for
local install media first.

First, file an FC5 bug against pirut regarding network install tried
before local media is searched first.

To temporarily get around the issue, you could make a local repo file
called local.repo with the below entries in it. Place this file in
/etc/yum.repos.d directory. Disable the fedora-extras.repo and the
fedora-core.repo versions by changing enabled=1 to enabled=0 in both
repo files. When you finish with the local installation, set the core
and extras to enabled=1 and set the local.repo entry within the file to
enabled=0.

My thought for a good interface would be for pirut to browse in media
looking for install media. If it finds local media under the /media
directory, it uses it by default. If no Install media found, it works as
yum would do and looks on the Internet for the packages within the repos
that you have setup.

[Local-Install]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=file:///media/<directory-your-DVD-is-mounted-as>
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

Jim
--
Lots of folks are forced to skimp to support a government that won't.