NVIDIA drivers working yet?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Mar 21 19:52:18 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>
>> if you want to get your hands dirty :)
>>
>> To install latest development kernels 2.6.16* :
>> http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2006/03/dave-joness-2616-12064fc5.html
>
> Oho I thought 'hands dirty' was going to be patching the thing, I would
> rather wait, but in fact this is a link to a Dave Jones Special kernel
> package, definitely going to try it.
>
>> To install nvidia drivers:
>> http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2006/02/fc5-test-2-nvidia-finally-successful.html
>>

> Thanks for the pointers and the writeups.

Aha, back with normal resolution again.

I did use the nVidia binary installer, I don't recommend that anyone
else does so, but if you do, you need to patch it with a patch from the
nVidia forums, and as somebody pointed out a bit late for me :-) the
modular xorg stuff has moved X's world to /usr/lib64/xorg on my box.
You have to copy the nVidia files from /usr/X11R6/lib64 ->
/usr/lib64/xorg and /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers ->
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers.

Or you can use the Livna RPM.  Apparently the nVidia installer as it is
can crap up 3D, I don't use 3D so I continue to use The Old Way.

-Andy