[FC5] First impression

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 21 20:00:49 UTC 2006

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-20-03 at 16:12 -0500, Patrick wrote:
>
>>After installation, I noticed certain things which saddened me ...
>>
>>* When logging out of a graphical enviroment, I can't select the
>>option anymore which allows me to save "any active stuff" ("remember
>>settings"). So every time I log in now, I have to creat manually a
>>terminal window in desktop 4 because I'm used to it.
>

> I think that's an indication of the corporate (re: big business)
> interests/pressure on the Gnome project.  For large companies, letting
> people save their session when they log out would add a butt load to
> technical support.  People that don't understand the option might check
> it off, and then wonder why all sorts of apps "magically" open on when
> they log back in.

I've never understood the desire to have it, actually. I used Solaris
for something like 10 years, and always had to turn it back off after
"admin" did the latest/greatest "upgrade" (not GNOME, Mosaic, but
similar in concept). I kept a copy of my configuration in a directory
that the admins wouldn't touch (over on /usr/local, always loved the
way Solaris handled /usr/local), and would copy it back.

> I'm not knocking Gnome since I really like it, and it's what I deploy
> for my clients.  But, instead of getting rid of the save session option
> completely, it would be much better if the option could be turned on/off
> by an admin.*
>
> Completely removing it is horrible.

I agree with this. I've never used it on my FC2 box, and probably never
will. But removing it isn't something I would do.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.