Spoke too soon (SOLVED Re: FC5 install: grub can't mount partition)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Tue Mar 21 20:11:03 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
> On 3/21/06, Anil Kumar Sharma <xplusaks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > First backup ur grub.conf to grub.conf.bak
> >  Then edit grub.conf to replace hd2 with hd0    (2 replacements expected)
> > save and reboot.
>
> Thanks, that fixed it.
>
> I really don't understand how the device name got changed.
>
> Unfortunately, I now getting an X error and can't log in, but I will
> have to deal with that in another thread.

I don't know what is going on.

After changing grub.conf as described above, FC5 booted and Linux
started up but it wouldn't log me in, displaying an error message:

  Your session lasted less than ten seconds. There may be something
wrong with your installation or you may be out of diskspace.
  [...]
  Try logging in a failsafe session to see if you can fix this problem

The dialog allows me to seen an error message:

  /usr/bin/gnome-session
  /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-.so.0
  symbol lookup error
  undefined symbol: g-thread [...]

Now, I open a command line terminal (ctrl-alt-F6). According to fdisk,
I booted from /dev/sdc !

What could be going on with this new install? I only undertook a
simple FC4 --> FC5 upgrade, no fancy stuff. At this point, I am
completely at a loss as how to proceed.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
  Colin Brace