OT: But Linux may help - Use "ghost for Linux" to image to RAID 1

gordon at aims-sol.com gordon at aims-sol.com
Tue Mar 21 20:55:09 UTC 2006

I have a Windows 2000 server with one 80GB IDE hard drive.

I add a Promise Fasttrak100 TX2 IDE RAID card and the other 80GB IDE hard
drive to the server.

I want to use those 2 hard drive to form a RAID 1 mirror.

I want to keep everything in the old hard drive (I need few days to
reinstall one of the application in the server).

My thinking:

I ghost the old hard drive image to the third hard drive and connect the
third drive.

I use any boot live Linux CD to boot. If the Linux can see the third hard
drive and the RAID 1 drive. I then use something like "ghost for Linux" to
ghost the third drive image to the RAID 1 drive.

Will it work?

If yes, Which live CD has Promise Fasttrak100 TX2 IDE RAID card driver?
which Linux live CD should I use?

If no, What is the easier method to do this?

Gordon