OT: But Linux may help - Use "ghost for Linux" to image to RAID 1

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Mar 21 21:03:52 UTC 2006

gordon at aims-sol.com wrote:
> I have a Windows 2000 server with one 80GB IDE hard drive.
>
> I add a Promise Fasttrak100 TX2 IDE RAID card and the other 80GB IDE hard
> drive to the server.
>
> I want to use those 2 hard drive to form a RAID 1 mirror.
>
> I want to keep everything in the old hard drive (I need few days to
> reinstall one of the application in the server).
>
> My thinking:
>
> I ghost the old hard drive image to the third hard drive and connect the
> third drive.
>
> I use any boot live Linux CD to boot. If the Linux can see the third hard
> drive and the RAID 1 drive. I then use something like "ghost for Linux" to
> ghost the third drive image to the RAID 1 drive.
>
> Will it work?

I doubt this will work.  Part of the reason is the boot.ini file and how
Windows 2000 would see the new drive array.  With the old file system
scheme the naming of the device would be different, not to mention the
SN of the array.  Second, why on earth would you put a boot partition on
a non-redundant filesystem?  You're best bet would be to setup both
drives as dynamic and then span the volume from within Win2k.  However,
I highly do not recommend a system partition on RAID1.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415