Unexplained network activity

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 23:49:09 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:

> David J. Bakeman wrote:
>
>> Since I upgraded to the latest FC4 kernel 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 I've been
>> seeing unexplained network activity in the gnome System Monitor
>> 2.10.1 applet.  Using ps (verified with rpm to not be corrupted) and
>> netstat I can't explain the apparent activity.  Is this an issue with
>> the gnome applet?  Do I have some virus that's using the network?
>> Any ideas?
>

> More details, ports, traffic, protocols.

Sorry I had some issues doing some upgrades today (the latest
gnome-system-monitor is dependant on the latest gtop even though apt
didn't seem to catch that).

Both ethereal and tcpdump show nothing when I think I'n doing nothing
even though the gnome system monitor displays >60% usage(Both ethereal
and tcpdump do show something when I'm reading email, accessing the web,
etc)?  Who do I believe?