Help with reading strace

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 22 13:08:33 UTC 2006

Dan Track wrote:

> When pinging the server (10.10.8.24) I get lots of dots ( about 30)
> appear on the screen. I've never used the flood option before so I'm
> not sure what to expect. Any ideas?

Aha... when ping sends out a ping request in -f mode it prints a ., when
it gets the ping response it backspaces it.  Therefore a happy network
shows a single flickering dot.  So you learned that either that server
is unable to keep up with network traffic or you have some other problem
causing packet loss between the two boxes.

Examine the cable, switches and hubs, and also if possible the
negotiated mode at the Ethernet PHY, using, eg

mii-tool eth0

-Andy