Re: Can scp be used to update a directory?

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 13:08, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Actually, I should have said .[a-Z]* .
>
> But that's why I added the footnote. File globbing (at least in bash)
> observes the LC_COLLATE environment variable, or LANG if LC_COLLATE is
> not set. And that dictates how letters sort. The "C" locale observes
> traditional case sensitivity, the way you suggest. But en_GB.UTF-8
> (which I imagine both Anne and I are using), en_GB, en_US, fr_FR, and (I
> imagine) most other locales sort "aAbBcCdD...", with other accented
> characters in there, too.

Ah - I didn't really understand the footnote.  Thanks for the explanation.

> So [a-Z]* gets the lot.
>
> That's also why ls no longer lists the filenames beginning with capital
> letters before the rest.

Side issue, James.  Are you having any problems displaying accented letters?
I have language=British English, and character set=utf8.  When I should see
an accented letter I get a double space instead.

Anne