Fontconfig regression

I have a complete collection of the Bitstream Zurich BT font series.
On FC4, these were all accessible (as "Zurich BT"). However
with new fontconfig (I presume this is responsible for it),
there is only "Zurich" with a number of styles, but the one I
use is not among them. This is a simplistic behaviour of
fontconfig. Is it possible to revert to a sane setting?
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49