Hard decision

Mariano López Reta mlreta at alternativagratis.com
Wed Mar 22 16:38:20 UTC 2006

Fellow co-listers:

Right now, on my machine, there's a 64bit FC4. The CPU is an Athlon64
3000+ with 512MB 400Mhz RAM. Graphics are handled by a GeForce 5200 with
128MB. HD is a 160GB 7200RPM Hitachi SATA.

I'm downloading both x86-64 and i386 versions of FC5, so the big
question is: should I "downgrade" to i386 in order to get all firefox
plugins, less compilation hassles when compiling 3rd-party stuff, and
(mainly) shockwave/flash (unfortunately, most web pages, including home
banking ones, use flash in my country, so there's no way to avoid it).
Or should I stick to the 64bit version and face all the inconveniences
that I have now? Quick answer would be: if you can handle the hassle,
keep 64. But the deeper question here is: is it worth it to face all the
hassle? Are there really significant differences in performance?

Thanks to all,

--
Mariano López Reta <mlreta at alternativagratis.com>
Tortuguitas, Buenos Aires, Argentina