Customising Session Shortcuts

Ingo Schaefer ingo at ingo-schaefer.de
Wed Mar 22 16:41:11 UTC 2006

Hello Ali,
Am Mittwoch, den 22.03.2006, 18:26 +0200 schrieb Ali Helmy:
>    #   5 - X11
>    #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>    #
>    id:3:initdefault:

Yes.

> Now that should make the default startup, end with the <Localhost
> Login:> prompt, and then, when i want to start X-windows, i should
> just move to Ctrl+Alt+F2 and type "startx" right?

You can just login on the first console (called tty1) and start the
graphical environment from there. It will be on the first virtual
terminal then, which can be accessed by Ctrl+Alt+F7 in standard setup.
Default is for the graphical screen to be the first "free" screen which
is not connected to a getty-process. (as far as I know)

Or, if you want to left tty1 for "further use", use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to
change to tty2, login there and issue startx from that.

> Now what if i also want to start a KDE session after that? Does startx
> load it by default (its the only KDE i have)? or do i type something
> else, or is it, something ELSE completely?

In most cases the "default desktop environment" will be started, so if
you have only installed KDE, it will get the point.

Regards,
Ingo