Are Livna and FreshRPMS compatible?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 22 21:25:42 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 16:39 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 16:53 -0300, Mariano López Reta wrote:
>>
>>>I just wanted to know if I can have both installed so yum can search
>>>both.
>>
>>I know for a fact that Livna is compatible with Extras/Updates/Fedora.
>>All other repos - I just download/install packages manually.
>>

> Something is implicitly wrong with your statement of fact above.
>
> Livna claims to be compatible with Extras.
> Rpmforge claims to be compatible with Extras
> It is a known fact that Livna and Rpmforge are not compatible.
>
> Ergo one of the first two statements appears false.
> I have used Rpmforge constantly and never encountered a conflict with
> the Fedora Updates_released, Base, or Extras repos.  I wonder where
> explicitly the fallacy in the claims lies.
>

>>No, I lied - I do configure ATrpms in yum, but I disable it in the .repo
>>file and, when I am using it, I add --enablerepo=atrpms to the yum
>>parameters. I only install MythTV from ATrpms anyway, and nothing else.
>>

> Like you I also pick/choose which packages to use from where.  I use
> ATrpms and Livna selectively.
>

>>--
>>Florin Andrei

I use RpmForge the most and I have had one or two conflicts (wxGTK2)
with core/extra's.  I can say the same with Livna.  But it is a case
of who has what.  I have removed a package from one site and installed
it from the other.

ATrpms is one that I have not used since allot of FC1 headaches.

I now do upgrades in stages.  All the core/extras first, then the
SorceForge rpms and last Livna.  This seems to have prevented almost
all my compatibility issues.

--
Robin Laing