Dumping Windows

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 22 23:22:50 UTC 2006

Malcolm Moore wrote:
> Can someone point me in the right direction here
>
> Has anyone or does anyone know of documentation / tools
> to help migrate Windows Server users to Linux/Samba users
>
> Specifically : I have 1300 users on W2k3 servers
> I want to move the user accounts/home directories to Linux/Samba
> and keep the XP workstations and then in a while drop the XP
> workstations in favor of Fedora
>
> Ok, I could RTFM and wade thru Samba and Fedora documentation
> but I was rather hoping for a 'Guide for the Impatient' or a write
> up from someone who has alredy done it - Bear in mind there
> are only 2 of us supporting these 1300 users !!

You really should not be using Fedora for serious work. I regularly
describe it as a rolling beta, and it's way too likely to break. Fedora
3 and Fedora 4 both broke (eg kernels wouldn't boot, shutdown or operate
for many users).

RHEL or one of its clones (I use WBEL, but Centos seems more popular).

Setting up "workgroup" shares in Samba's no big deal, and probably all
the info you need is in the standard config file.

En examble (from a Debian system):
[backup]
comment = Backup space
         path=/misc/backup/private/%m
         writable = yes
         create mask = 0775
         browseable = yes
         preexec = /bin/mkdir /misc/backup/private/%m

This creates a per-machine share into which I can create a backup, using
Windows' backup utility.

This is for home directories:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change next
# parameter to 'yes' if you want to be able to write to them.
    writable = yes

# File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
# create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    create mask = 0700

# Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you
want to
# create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    directory mask = 0700

Users only see their own home directory, not others', and each machine
sees only its own backup directory.

I imagine I could also set up shares for installing Windows and for
using RSI, but so far haven't tried.

However, if you think you're going to migrate AD, then take yourself off
to www.samba.org and do some careful reading. They want testers.

--

Cheers
John