bittorrent slow

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 23 02:20:08 UTC 2006

Stephen Mirowski wrote:

>    I understand that
>    one of the features of DOCSIS 2.0 is an increase in the available
>    upload bandwidth, but I don't know of any cable HSI providers who
>    have yet done the major upgrade of their systems needed to support
>    that.
>
> Shaw Cable in Canada provides Extreme Internet in a few of the major
> cities using Docsis modems.  This increases downloads by approx 2MB/s
> and increases the uploads a tad I believe.  Maybe when I get a job,
> I'll get it, first month is free!!
> I have bad luck w/ Bittorrent.  My friends seem to do okay.  I got
> good speeds on Quake4 demo, but nothing else.  I'll seed this FC5
> 386 DVD to help out others out.  I have my uploads set to OC3 speeds
> but am only uploading at 20KB/s?  I can do 45-50 KB/s on ftp and ssh2
> transfers.  Any idea of how to improve speeds for uploading?
>
> Stephen

Yes, I agree, something has changed about Bittorrent in the last year
and it has become much slower -- it isn't the medium of choice any
longer. I used to be able to download a DVD in about 10 hours on
Bittorrent. The Fedora Core 5 x86_64 DVD took close to 48 hours to
download by contrast. I started downloading the i386 DVD on Bittorrent
as well, and several hours later I'm not even 10% complete on that with
speeds in the 17-18 Kbps range on a DSL link I know can go over 90. I
think I can probably do better with wget or rsync.

Bob Cochran