bittorrent slow

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 23 05:19:22 UTC 2006

sean wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:45:51 -0600
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>They don't sell you a link of a given bandwidth and then tell you
>>how you can use it. They license you to use *their* equipment, and
>>then tell you how you can use *their* equipment. And you *agree*
>>to the terms when you sign up to use *their* equipment.
>

> You're right of course, but they won't get *my* money unless they can
> provide the service i want, which includes a sizeable chunk of download
> and upload bandwidth.   Luckily, many DSL providers are more than
> happy to undercut and out service the cable companies today.

That is, of course, also true, and the way things should work.

> It's easy to be jealous of the Japanese though who are so far ahead of
> us, having much greater penetration of fiber to the home with 100Mbit
> download _and_ upload speeds for little more than we pay for a rate
> limited cable connection here.

Well, yes and no. There is a reason for this, just as there is a reason
we are stuck with a lot of older technologies. We were on the early edge
of getting them. By the time other countries actually got telephones,
the technology had moved on, so they got *better* phones. But we got
the phones long *before* they did.

So, which do you prefer?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.