Accessing vfat drives from FC4

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 08:28:24 UTC 2006

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I'm dual booting a machine XP/FC4.  The user wants write access to the
> Windows drive from FC4.  I can mount the drives just fine but as a
> user I can't write to them.  I've converted the Windows drives to
> Fat32. I'm mounting them via fstab as vfat with:
>
> /dev/hda1 /data1 defaults 0 0
>
> The mount point (/data1) is 777 but a Linux user has no write access
> to them.  What am I doing wrong?  I need all users to have write
> access...
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

FAT32 filesystems have no permissions to speak of. Permissions need to
be set at mounting, so in addition to defaults, add the option
uid=username, for the username you want as the owner, and/or
gid=username. Also, if you want them to be able to mount/unmount it, add
the option users, or user=username. See man mount for more details.
-Dan