Re: GRUB with IDE and SCSI disk

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
One of my systems has an IDE disk and a SCSI disk. I upgraded the IDE disk and I need to reinstall grub. /boot is in /dev/sda1, but the system boots off of /dev/hda.

I've tried various things to install GRUB on the new /dev/hda, but everything results in a complaint during boot that

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.

For example, in GRUB shell, I installed using:

    > root (hd1,0)
    > setup (hd0)

The installation seems to work fine, but boot fails as above. I had this working before, but for my life I can't recall how I did it differently from this.

What am I missing?

You probably need to make the device.map file reflect the drive ordering that your BIOS is using.

Paul.