Finding old information

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:07:36 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I sent this well over 2 hours ago, and again a short while ago, and
> haven't
> seen either yet, so sorry if it ends up as triplicate.  I changed the
> subject
> line, this time, too, just in case there are proscribed words (I suffered
> from that with Mandriva's sympa)/
>
> A friend is considering migration, and wanted to search the archives for
> topics concerning his hardware.  From the list web-page he found the
> archives
> link, but there doesn't seem to be any search facility there.  How do you
> search, then?
>
> Anne
>

> --

Hi Anne!

I have found it quite useful at times to have the FC list and Ubuntu list (I
am on both) in Gmail.  I have been doing this for about a year, am using
only 4% of my limit (96MB of 2.7GB) but the search tool has been great when
I needed to find something pertaining to specific hardware or a subject
under study.

In looking at how I might do spcifically what you asked, the only way I can
think of is to download the gunzips, extract, and run your favorite text
search tools on them.  Kinda crude.

I have found Google very useful finding info about specific hardware and how
they fare on distros.  It helps to ask the question several differant ways.
"Dell Inspiron 8100 on Fedora Core"  (try moving the words arround, remove
some words, add say "problems" or "installation" and take hints from what
you find).  Alaways look at the date and context of what you find.

Have a great day!

Tod