Quibbles with suspend-to-ram

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 23 10:35:17 UTC 2006

William John Murray wrote:
>   Hello all,
>        I have suspend-to-ram working very nicely under FC5, with two
> fixes to my Latitude D610:
>    * vga=normal as boot parameter
>    * /sbin/service network  stop/start on suspending

That sounds ghastly. I run Kismet on my laptop, and suspend/resume works
fine, on SUSE 10.0, where networking generally is more difficult than it
should be.

Restarting networking with kismet running seems likely to cause
something to fail.

> But there are still two wrinkles:
>    * Evolution hangs after a suspend. Maybe this is because of my cruel
> network stop?

Possibully. I'd guess network timeouts are causing grief.

Mind you, the usual reason I suspend/resume is to transport the laptop
between home and work, and when that happens the network does need to be
reset.

>    * Sometimes on resume it immediately suspends/tries to suspend again.
> In /var/log/messages I see one occasion where I closed the lid,
> removed the power supply, put the machine in my bag. On resume it
> somehow finds two suspend instructions: One from closing the lid, the
> other from disconnecting power with the lid closed.
>   On other occasions I think the on wakeup it finds it has been more
> than my timeout without mains power and suspends again.
>    Is there something which could be done to trap these?

I run FC3 on another laptop, and it suspends, resumes and then
shutsdown. It sounds like a variation of my problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait