FC5, Dell Latitude, wireless, and beagle Oh my!

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 23 13:21:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Installed FC5 on a Dell Latitude CPx laptop yesterday.  Install went
> fairly smoothly.  The only problems encountered was the LCD was not
> identified.  It defaulted to a 800x600 resolution.  Was able to correct
> that later by selecting a higher resolution screen and set it to
> 1024x768.
>
>[...]

> I have also noticed some odd behavior with the mouse pad on the laptop.
> As the pointer is moved sometimes it seems to cause the browser to do a
> back page or raise a window that was minimized.  Have tried adjusting
> the options under the mouse preferences but that has not made any real
> difference.  Did not have this kind of behavior under FC2.

You're seeing some of the capabilities of the synaptics driver, which
supports scrolling along the right and bottom edges, among other cool
features that may seem annoying if you aren't expecting them.  This
behavior is controllable--see the docs in /usr/share/doc/synaptics*/.

IRC, the synaptics driver wan't part of the FC2 default install.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu