After installing FC5, no way to boot in FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 23 16:59:04 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have installed FC5 on a free partition, but having FC4 installed on
> a different partition. Now, I cannot boot in FC4 anymore. How can it
> be fixed?

Did you install grub in the MBR for both releases, or have at least one
with grub installed in the root/boot partition instead?

In the latter case, you can configure one grub to chain-load the other.

In the former case, you'll either need to manually copy grub.conf
entries from FC4 into your FC5 grub.conf (and repeat this every time you
get a new FC4 kernel), or you could install grub in the FC4 release's
root/boot partition and have FC5 grub chain-load it, which would be a
better solution.

Paul.