bittorrent slow

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Mar 23 20:45:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-21-03 at 13:22 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 12:04 -0800, Steven Ringwald wrote:
>
> > One thing that I have found that helps is to not use the standard
> > bittorrent port. The command line option is
> >
> > --maxport 45000 --minport 40000
> >
> > This has helped me loads in the past.
>
> I would go as far as saying that everyone should do that, but of course
> everyone using different ports.
> If nothing else, it would force ISPs to do layer 4 shaping, which is
> more expensive. Make the bastards bleed a little.

You do realize that some of the people on this list are
Network Administrators at an ISP. We do realize that
some P2P traffic is being used for the efficient transfer
of legal traffic. We also realize that some people are
idiots and have no clue that they are seeding all of the
documents in their "My Documents" directory and their shared
folders when they install P2P. It is generally the idiots we
have to protect our network from, but there is the odd
"Make the bastards bleed a little" type that when we find them
we exercise our AUP and send them elsewhere.

If you want to find out what your AUP is you can contact :

Name:       Comcast Cable Communications
Address:    3 Executive Campus
Address:    5th Floor
City:       Cherry Hill
StateProv:  NJ
PostalCode: 08002
Country:    US
OrgAbuseName:   Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse at comcast.net

Have a great day, but remember to play nice.