bittorrent slow

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Mar 23 21:16:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-21-03 at 16:42 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
> > I wonder that could have been me...
> > At one point I noticed I was uploading at over 400kB/s....
> > Eeek now I am just seeding at over 600kB/s I am at a ratio of .85
> > so it will stop uploading in an 2 to 3 hours or so.
>
> What, you haven't selected the option to seed it indefinitely????   B^)

You may or may not have realized, that I am the Senior Network
Administrator at an ISP, because I usually turn off my signature
when posting. I am not doing it to be covert, I do it because
I am not responding as an official of my company.

I feel that as a good network citizen I should behave the
way I would expect my customers to behave. Fortunately I have
the advantage of knowing if my traffic is adversely affecting
our network, and can tune it accordingly. I have also taken
measure to ensure my traffic goes through the least costly
upstream connection. If this was only for personal use, I would
have used my broadband connection at home, but strangely enough
that would actually cost us more, but that is our policy for
employees.

As a good bittorrent citizen I make sure to give back at least
as much as I take. As it turns out that torrent kept seeding until
it was at 2:1, but I am not sure why, I thought I had configured
a default of 1.1:1. I am not all that concerned, and was glad to
be of assistance.