bittorrent slow

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Mar 23 21:32:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-21-03 at 15:47 -0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > I cannot be 100% certain, but Comcast appears to work fine if you change
> > the BitTorrent ports to some non-standard range.
> >
> > It appeared to be slow yesterday with standard ports, but that might be
> > due to weak population of the early BT swarm.
> >

> My download started off quite slow (~20 Kb/s), but it was running at up
> to 300 Kb/s around midnight (CST).  IIRC, the last couple of test
> releases showed the same pattern.  It *could* just be the swarm ramping
> up, but Comcast might also be taking the governor off late at night.

It may also be that there is more bandwidth available, because
there are less users on at that time. We have a number of
International Business customers, but most of our traffic
is from 08:00 EST (06:00 MST) to 19:00 PST (20:00 MST) between
20:00 MST and 06:00 MST our traffic drops to between 25% and 50%
of the average traffic during the day. I would bet that Comcast
has similar usage patterns. Many ISP's pay for traffic using
the 95th percentile of traffic over a month, so it is better
for your ISP if you schedule your seeding/leeching during off
peak hours. During peak hours your ISP may take measures to curb
your BW to maintain a lower overall 95th percentile, other ISP's
may prefer you go elsewhere because they are paying more to
service your connection than you are paying for it.