FC5 issue with ndiswrapper

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 01:20:46 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone gotten NetworkManager or the network gui
> applet to recognize wlan0 usin ndiswrapper?
>
> I can manage wlan0 fine in cli, but not the nice gui
> tools. So I think its not an ndiswrapper of
> wireless-tools problem.

I was trying to use the madwifi package with my NetGear 511T and
NetworkManager acted quite squirrelly.  It works well enough with Ubuntu
Breezy but not WPA. I was hoping that FC5 would bring me joy but not quite.
I got to the point where NM would unreliably list the available APs but
wouldn't connect to any of them (including unencrypted SSIDs) but that could
have been signal strength issues. There was one bit of weirdness in that
both a wlan0 and an ath0 was created when I tried to start just one.

Is NM supposed to have WPA support built-in yet? I know that is on the
roadmap but I don't know if it made it into FC5. I tried to start the
wpa_supplicant service via system-config-services but it wouldn't run. So I
ran it as a daemon with all the commandline switches in place but couldn't
tell if it was working properly. There was no error output bu no success
either and no GUI to set the key ... just iwconfig. :[

/Mike