FC4->FC5 yum upgrade. Sweet.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Fri Mar 24 04:44:04 UTC 2006

I upgraded the kernel removing ppp, isnd and other associated unwanted
packages in the process, and upgraded fedora-release.

I ran "yum upgrade" and sat back watching worried that something, either
postfix, dovecot, apache, or some other service on this box would die a
horrible death.

When it was done (after thousands of policy warnings filled my scroll
buffer) I checked the grub config and added a fallback option to my old
kernel just to be on the safe side.

Then hit 'reboot'.

She booted up with the new kernel and everything was back running,
except for dovecot and httpd. The config file format had changed in some
places and so I needed to update them.

The solution was to simply diff the original (.rpmnew) and new .conf
files and tweak a couple of options. No drama. "service X restart" and
all was good again.

Thank you Chuck Norris..